.

Monday, July 20, 2009

Work during the recession


Ferfal,
I have read your entire blog as well as your book and I find the information that you provide to be very helpful. I think that you are doing an enormous service for a large number of people worldwide. I thank you for what you do and encourage you to keep up the good work. I work as a strength and conditioning coach for a major university here in the US. Our athletic department actually makes a profit unlike most, but I am seeing cut-backs and major differences in policy and procedure. Employees who have been here much longer than me have said things like “we never had to do this before” and “what is this new paperwork for?” Unfortunately my job doesn’t pay very well and I work very long hours. Even though I recognize the benefits and contributions that my job provides, I don’t think that my position and others like it are valued as much as they should be considering how much money we can save the university by preventing injuries to the athletes. I am curious about how professional and collegiate sports (if you had them) were affected during the economic collapse in Argentina and if they even exist today. A private sector counterpart for my job would be working as a personal trainer and this has been a pretty decent way for me to make money while I was in between jobs. What is the fitness industry like in Argentina? Can you make a living in it? I know that you stress the importance of being physically fit, but do large numbers of other people recognize how important this is and are they willing to pay for it? What profession do you see someone with a knowledge of healthy lifestyle changes, fitness, nutrition, exercise, and athletic performance training having during times of economic hardship like what we are facing in America? I feel like I need to develop another skill set, but I don’t feel like I have enough time to do it. Thanks for your time and once again, I greatly appreciate what you do. Best wishes to you and your family during this difficult time.
Brady




Thanks Brady, I appreciate your support.

I am curious about how professional and collegiate sports (if you had them) were affected during the economic collapse in Argentina and if they even exist today. A private sector counterpart for my job would be working as a personal trainer and this has been a pretty decent way for me to make money while I was in between jobs. What is the fitness industry like in Argentina? Can you make a living in it?

It’s hard and not the best paying job in general terms, but as always when you do what you love it’s much easier, you put more energy into it and your chances of success increase.
Hey, Billy Banks made a fortune, why can’t you?
It’s mostly thinking a lot and using your head, and most important never giving up.
About your question, of course we have gym teachers, personal trainers, etc.
I’ll admit most of them have a hard time. Schools don’t pay much. Private schools pay much better and I know some coaches and gym teachers that do very well indeed.

The personal trainer idea is a very good one and yes, we have many here and a lot of guys make a living being personal trainers. They’ve adapted, worked harder at their customers network and marketing, maybe aiming for more regular people and not rich folks alone. Middle class moms that needs a couple classes two times a week or so.
Maybe you can get 2 or 3 moms in the same block interested, and that makes it easier for them to pay. You get together in one home and do the session there, go out running, I dont know.

Other’s go the opposite route, they have the contacts and train actors, models or people that can afford them and they stay within that higher profile target.
Two different alternatives and both may work if you find the niche and make it work.
You have to explore your area, your market, see the possibilities and GO FOR IT.

Don’t let the naysayers get to you. Most people don’t have the guts to do anything, they are too afraid of failure. Do your homework, have a clear goal and go for it.

A blog or website that offers one health program or schedule or another may be an alternative as well. Read a lot about web business and blogging. It can be done. The advantage is that it requires almost no investment, the disadvantage is that months can go by without making any money.
Check this guy for starting your own business. I like him because he’s not offering fake BS promises. He explains how to get started and is realist about the hard work it requires. Check his "Monday-Interent Business" videos. RCPowers

The good old gym may be another viable route. May be you can include Mixed martial arts or self defense programs ( find a guy to partner up if needed) since self defense will be a growing market as things get worse.
My vale todo instructor associated with another guy and a woman. They teach TKD to kids and adults, MMA, Vale todo, Tai boxing, and self Defense.
They have a nice variety of “products” to offer, an that enables them to cover various markets and niches.
These are a few choices, there are many others. Maybe you can do more than one. For example working on you personal trainer business while at the same time investing time in a training course you’d offer on line in your blog.
It’s all hard work, but it can be done. I’m not saying anything here that someone didn’t successfully try before.

Argentina for example is the land of Futbol (that’s soccer for you guys) everyone wants to be Lionel Messi and make 100.000.000 Euros a year.
If you specialize in soccer players, you’d do very well in Argentina. Maybe in USA its Football, basketball or baseball.
Most people don’t recognize how important it is to be fit and healthy. Argentina is no different though its easy to see that people here are more fit and slimmer than in USA. Still, you have to go out there and convince them of it, they won’t come knocking on your door. That’s why marketing, relationships, and working on your clients list is so important.
Also, you mention lack of time. We’ve all been there. I had to sacrifice ( and risk) a lot to get enough time to finish my book. I risked and achieved my objective. But if I hadn’t risked…
You may want to keep your job but work less hours to invest on oyur personal business.

I read somewhere once that the average millionaire fails 17 times, has 17 failures before making it.
Now don’t think about becoming a millionaire, have a realistic objective and try to succeed at that. Will you quit as soon as you find the first signs of trouble, problems or after the first failure? Heck, no keep pushing and working towards your objective and if it doesn’t work then maybe try something else but the point is, never give up. If you never give up, eventually you succeed. I’m sure you know this very well.
That’s all I have. I don’t know much about fitness industry but these things I’m talking about, creating business opportunities, they apply to everything from fitness to knife-making or computer skills or whatever. Its’ the entrepreneur mindset that makes it happen.

FerFAL

No comments: