.

Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Recommend Movie: Wild Tales (Relatos Salvajes)


Those of you that have been following me for some time probably have an idea of what life is like in Argentina. Because of the topics I usually write about, I end up focusing a lot on negative aspects rather than the positive ones. Relatos Salvajes or Wild Tales does a great job in showing that wild, brutal side. Because of non-stop corruption, because of class hate, because of impunity, because of bureaucracy that drives you nuts for days while in any sane country you could fix it with a 5 minute phone call, because of all these reasons people in Argentina tend to be stressed and on the edge of erupting in violence. Relatos Salvajes is a movie about just that, about people exploding violently in different circumstances. Some of the jokes, slang and expressions are so typical Argentine that may be lost in those that weren’t born there but still, being as objective as I can be it has to be one of the best films I’ve seen in 2014 and 2015 so far and that’s why its an Oscar nominated movie. Violent, but if you like dry, dark humor don’t miss it.
FerFAL
Fernando “FerFAL” Aguirre is the author of “The Modern Survival Manual: Surviving the Economic Collapse” and “Bugging Out and Relocating: When Staying is not an Option”.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I recall that when I first heard Soviet humor it didn't always make sense to me. 6 years into the Obama presidency, it now does. I can imagine that many of the concepts in this movie might be alien to Americans, but not for much longer.