.

Monday, March 7, 2016

Survival Irony: Most Overlooked yet most likely to kill you


I’ve been in forum discussions (recently) where people get so worked up over which handgun caliber is best they literally can’t keep the debate civil. Articles and posts about gear are all over the place, I know I do my fair share of those as well. We talk so much about emergencies and out of the ordinary events we sometimes lose touch with reality and either neglect or completely forget about the undisputed top causes of early death such as heart disease.
I’ve written before about how important it is to keep a healthy diet, exercise and maintain a reasonable body weight. It sure isn’t always easy but it needs to be discussed and insisted upon more. It’s not zombies or Mad Max style raiders, its this stuff that is by far the thing most likely to leave your kids without a father or mother before their time.
So, now that I hopefully caught your attention, how’s your weight, and when was the last time you checked your blood pressure and cholesterol, let alone a complete blood test.

CHOLESTEROL RISK CHART
Today I got my results and fortunately they are very good. I did gain some weight recently which I need to lose ASAP (too much Spanish food since we moved here) but still everything came back within normal parameters and the cholesterol and triglyceride levels are low enough to place me in the “very low” risk of cardiovascular disease, so that’s good news.
Its not always easy and quite frankly its sometimes a PITA but this is important and needs to be talked about and taken care of. I’m not preaching here, I’m sure thinking about myself as well as I write this.
If discussions about calibers can end up in forum wars you can imagine what happens when someone speaks honestly and goes “Dude, you’re not big, you’re fat”. Fat has somehow become a politically incorrect word, yet given its link to cardiovascular disease it is, by far, the leading cause of death world wide. Survivalism is pointless if we only focus on the fun stuff and can’t be bothered with keeping it real and that means seriously working on the extremely high risk threats such as diseases involving poor nutrition and unhealthy lifestyles.
FerFAL
Fernando “FerFAL” Aguirre is the author of “The Modern Survival Manual: Surviving the Economic Collapse” and “Bugging Out and Relocating: When Staying is not an Option”.

No comments: